Monday, January 17, 2011

Some of My Early Virginia Ancestors

I’m here in Colonial Williamsburg because DH has a woodworkers conference he’s attending for the week.  With all of the holiday planning and unplanned weather in GA, I did not do very well getting my research plan ready for our stay.  Fortunately, we came to the same conference last year and I did have a plan then.  Only I found that once I got home, my research notes from one book I studied were hard to interpret and I knew some of it was transcribed while other parts were abstracted… and I didn’t notate which was which.  So, today, I spent 5 hours in the John D. Rockefeller library with that same book cleaning up my notes and adding more details from it. 

But I’m happy now!Open-mouthed smile

So, tonight I spent some time making a report from my database of all of the direct-line surnames from Colonial Virginia.  It’s very basic, but I have other details with me so this is just for reference.  Here’s what I came up with – a total of twenty.

# of Greats:
Surname: Given Name: Details:
9th
Banks Katherine d. 1686 Henrico Co.
9th
Biggs Johanna 1642-1693
9th
Boddie William d. 1717 Isle of Wight Co.
9th
Brown(e) John Isle of Wight Co.
8th
Burton Ann d. 1746 Mulberry Island, Warwick Co.
9th
Chambers William 1630-1677 Surry Co.
9th
Durant Elizabeth Widow of Richard Durant, m. Col. Thomas Pettus
6th
Ford Christopher b. 1730 d. 1788 Amelia Co.
9th
Hassell Edward m. 1675 Lower Norfolk
8th
Haynes Christopher d. Mulberry Island, Warwick Co.
8th
Humphrey John Sr. b. 1690 Surry Co. d. 1738 Brunswick Co.
8th
King Dorothy b. 1675 VA d. Spotsylvania Co.
7th
Lewis John Zachary b. 1702 Spotsylvania Co. d. 1765 Spotsylvania Co.
7th
Maule Christian (female) 1706 moved from Chowan Co. to NC
8th
Overton William m. 1670 Yorktown
9th
Prime Elizabeth b. 1648 Isle of Wight Co. d. 1714 Surry Co.
10th
Ruffin William d. bef 1674 Isle of Wight Co.
7th
Stuart Archibald d. 1761 Augusta Co.
8th
Waller Col. John d. 1754 Newport, Spotsylvania Co.
8th
Waters Elizabeth m. Yorktown

I do this every time I travel to a state for a visit to an archives or repository for research (usually in a spreadsheet).  It keeps everything in perspective and gives me an overview of surnames from the area.  Now, this is NOT my research plan, as those are very specific goals.  Try adding this to your research plans and reports when you plan your next trip!  It really helps me!

©2010 Joanne Schleier - All Rights Reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment