Monday, December 20, 2010

Personal Genealogy Update – First One!

 I have been so busy preparing for the holidays and have neglected my genealogy hobby.  It’s hard to find the time to write a blog post, let alone work on the family tree!  I decided to at least post about what I’m thinking genealogy-wise because just because I don’t have time to work on it, doesn’t mean I’m not thinkin’ about workin’ on it!


I’ve been asked to speak at our Genealogical Society of Cobb County’s Beginner’s Course in February – 2 lectures, and the handouts for those are due on the 8th of January.  I’ve had months to put them together, but there was always something pressing that needed to be done and, after all, I had plenty of time!  So, now they’re due soon and the holidays are here.  Conundrum!  I’ve been working on them in my brain and have it all mapped out, so it shouldn’t take me long to plunk it onto a presentation format, get the handouts done and create the bibliographies.  I will also be the president of said society beginning 2011 and have to create the agenda for the January 4th board meeting. 


I was given a poster-size blank pedigree chart from a fellow genealogist and last month got a copy made so I can keep one as my master.  I plan to fill it all in with pencil so I can eyeball the 8 or so generations and see the gaps.  This will help me to focus my research.
In addition, I can hear the research that I did in North Carolina back in November screaming at me from my office “come look at all of these wonderful photos of original land and probate records and add us to your database with transcriptions”!  I can hear you, you don’t have to scream. It’s fun to see relationships stated right there within a Will and be able to add folks to the tree!


I also plan to do a research plan for my Virginia ancestors as my husband has another meeting in January in Colonial Williamsburg for a week and I plan to hit the John D. Rockefeller library running!  Weeee!


I have two chapters to read for the ProGen study group this month as well.
I’ve prepared for the IGHR registration at Samford University.  Printed all relevant materials and put them in a packet, wrote to a veteran and asked questions about courses and accommodations, marked my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for courses and put that January 18th registration date reminder on my calendar!


I’ve mulled over the idea of pre-writing some posts in January for some of the carnival of genealogy ideas.  Not having time during the year to write as frequently as I’d like is a common problem, but if I could carve out a chunk of time to write say 5 posts for one carnival and add them to the cue, maybe that will make for more frequent posts for my readers in January.


I finally got a copy of my original DAR application back from my chapter.  Somehow I never got my copy when I was installed, but I have it now.  I need it to work on my supplemental applications.  Last I checked, I have 11 or so more patriots and found a father and son during my NC trip to add in.  WOW.  I never even thought I would have ONE patriot!  I am still trying to absorb the idea.  As an adoptee, I had convinced myself I would never know my ancestors and now this! 


I did add a couple of pages to my blog.  The “About Me” page and the “Surnames” page.  Been meaning to do this for a long time.  The assignments we’ve been given for ProGen has given me a lot of ideas for blog pages.  Perhaps I’ll add a page for organizations and societies I belong to and another page for my Bookshelf.  I haven’t decided yet. 


So, that’s what’s happening!  See how busy I am working on genealogy even though I am not doing the fun part of my personal tree!  Sheesh!  I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday and keeping those screaming genealogy criers from your office quiet until you can play!

©2010 Joanne Schleier - All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Joanne! Welcome to geneablogging. Love your blog, am following it now, and I look forward to reading more about your research. In looking through your surname list, I have found that we are researching two common lines - Baskin and Pettus. I invite you to read my blogs, Mississippi Memories and Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek for more information! We may be related!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Janice
    I do believe you're right my dear cousin, Miss Tracy! I found your blog over a year ago and have been a follower. I wrote you an email last January 20th suggesting we might be cousins as I'd seen your post on Thomas Pettus (my 9th GGrandfather)! I figured something was wrong with your email account since you didn't respond. I think I left a comment on one of your posts as well. I'm glad you found my blog and didn't realize you had Baskin ancestors as well! Please send me an email so we can continue to communicate - I look forward to getting it!

    ReplyDelete