Friday, January 22, 2010

Land Records for Female Ancestor?

I've been cleaning up my online database on Ancestry.com because when I uploaded my GEDCOM file from Legacy, it does not translate the sources by attaching Ancestry's Historical Records, it makes it all text. I like to look at Ancestry's tree with the link to the record right there so I can click once on it and be looking at the actual record. This enables me to scrutinize specific data and review records as necessary in my research. So, I am manually attaching records I've already cited in order to do this as seen here: (CLICK to enlarge)



In doing so, I've made a discovery I would not otherwise have found. I was already aware that my 4th great-grandfather, Duncan McVicker, acquired land in Louisiana beginning in 1852 as a result of serving in the Georgia Militia during the Cherokee Removal and receiving land grants. While adding these historical records to Ancestry's tree, I noticed underneath the results for Duncan McVicker in the Lousiana Land Records database the following:


You can see I've attached all of Duncan's land records to him in my tree because of all the green check marks to the right of his name. However, underneath him is his wife or daughter, Sarah, followed by his son, John, my 3rd great-grandfather whose land records I'd already known about. The discovery was Sarah's land! And hers was the earliest date. So, one can see that, as usual, welcome NEW discoveries always lead to more questions! How come Sarah McVicker got land? Did the couple purchase it in her name? Was it his daughter? Could it have been a grant? Underneath John is Margaret, another daughter! It never occurred to me to look for land in her name at that time, being that she is a female. I would not have done a search on the female names alone for land.

I'm glad I made the choice to re-enter these records in Ancestry! What a payoff! I believe there is a price for everything, but there are also rewards for diligence when you least expect it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment